Header Image for Biggleswade Town Council


Town/Parish Councils make up the first tier of local government in England and are the layer of local government closest to the communities they represent. There are some 8,500 Councils at Parish level in England. As a tier of local government they are elected bodies, with discretionary powers and rights laid down by Parliament to represent their communities and provide services for them. 

The Town Council currently has responsibility for:

Cemeteries -  including Burial Records                                      
Town Council owned street lighting
Car Parks
Recreation Grounds & Open Spaces

Biggleswade Town Council has 15 Councillors who have been elected by the residents, to work for the local community.  Members are consultees to Cental Bedfordshire Council on planning applications relating to Biggleswade.  They also comment to the higher tier of Local Government, Central Bedfordshire Council, on matters such as education, long term planning for the town, etc.

The Council has 4 Committees who have separate responsibilities, as follows: (Terms of Reference for each Committee can be found on the Useful Documents page on this site).

Public Land & Open Spaces
Town Centre Management
Finance & General Purpose

If you feel strongly about any issues arising in the town, however large or small, the Town Council is happy to look into it for you.

With the help and support of local residents the Town Council will be able to ensure that Biggleswade retains the community feel through any changes that will be seen in the next few years.

Contact: Town Council Offices on 01767 313134.


In Bedfordshire the second tier of local government is Central Bedfordshire Council which, in April 2009, replaced the former Mid Beds District and Bedfordshire County Councils.

Central Bedfordshire Council is responsible for:

Benefits, business, council & democracy, council tax, environment & waste, health & social care, home & housing, learning & schools, leisure & culture, planning, travel, parking & roads.

Contact Central Bedfordshire Council: 

email:  customer.services@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 300 8000


Central Bedfordshire Council
Priory House
Monks Walk
Chicksands, Shefford
Bedfordshire, SG17 5TQ